Saturday, July 1, 2017

1967 Bonus #32

Be sure to check out our very special countdown of The Chicagoland Charts’ Top 50 Songs From The Summer Of Love, now posted here:
http://fh1967listeningstation.blogspot.com/  
Phil Nee and I counted them down on Saturday, June 24th, and that program is now permanently posted on our brand new 1967 Listening Station website.  (You’ll find some of the other 1967 radio specials we've done posted here, too … and we’ll continue to post new programs as they happen!)  kk  

I continue to love the 1967 stuff and you are doing a great job with it! 
Thanks and keep up the good work  
-- Henry McNulty  

Kent:
I just so enjoy what you are doing.  Thanks!
Hannes      

Absolutely loving the 1967 project.
Bill


In the promo for your 1967 Summer of Love Countdown you refer to Jeff Taylor as being part of Michael and the Messengers ... but he was actually with The Messengers and not the Michael group.  I don't recall if you have my books, but Jeff Taylor was with the original Milwaukee band. The Michael band came from Boston to take over the Messengers gigs that a Chicago agent was booking. There is much more to the overall story. 
Gary E. Myers / MusicGem
I don't have your books but I know we have covered this scenario several times before in Forgotten Hits.  The charted hit that made The Top 50 Countdown was by Michael and the Messengers and Phil Nee had an old interview with Jeff Taylor handy so was able to include that in our broadcast.  I believe in the actual program he does refer to Jeff as being from "The Messengers".  (kk)

Hi Kent:
I have been enjoying your daily 1967 spotlight postings. 
I noticed that this week's Super Chart that goes back to the week of July 1st includes three covers of songs that were originally Miracles single releases on the Tamla label. There is Johnny Rivers with "Tracks Of My Tears." Then you have the Five Stairsteps with "Oooh, Baby Baby." Finally we got Brenda & the Tabulations with "Who's Lovin' You." Of course as an added bonus you find in the top 40 is Smokey & the Miracles with their current hit "More Love." Looks like 1967 was a good year for those wonderful melodies and poetic lyrics of one Bill "Smokey" Robinson.  
Santi Paradoa 
Miami, Florida     

My favorite song on The Monkees’ HEADQUARTERS album and the one that a lot of radio stations played back then was "Shades Of Gray".
It was a song about the loss of innocence in rapidly changing times. 
You know how you get a song stuck in your head? 
I remember this one was playing over and over subliminally when I was on my way to Chicago for US Navy boot camp and not knowing what lay ahead for me. Davy Jones and Peter Tork shared lead vocals on this beautiful track. The group played all of the instruments except for the French horn and cello featured on the song. Although the Prefab Four picked the songs on the album themselves, they only received songwriting credits on half of the LP's 14 songs.  This one was composed by the married team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, who wrote so many of the songs that are the soundtracks of baby boomers’ lives. These include
"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", "Kicks", "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place", "Shape Of Things To Come", "Only In America", and so many more hits.  

"Shades Of Gray" was first released in 1966 by a New York folk rock trio, The Will-O-Bees, but failed to chart. It is certainly one of the best Monkees album tracks ever.  
Mike G




Speaking of The Monkees' "Headquarters" LP, FH Reader David Salidor sent us this piece on the 50th Anniversary of their first self-controlled project hitting #1 ...
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/06/28/monkees-prove-themselves-with-number-one-album 


ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE WAS PERFORMED LIVE BY THE BEATLES TO 400 MILLION PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD 50 YEARS AGO ON JUNE 25, 1967


JUNE 25, 1967 - 50 years ago this Sunday, there was a seminal moment in world AND pop culture history. We all take it for granted now, but until this date, there was no such thing as broadcasting live from one country to another. That all changed. The Broadcast was called Our World. Each participating country showcased something unique to their culture. Of course, The Beatles represented the UK and were the headliners to say the least. With Sgt. Pepper the Number 1 album on the planet, they could certainly have selected one song from this album to perform. Not good enough for this broadcast!. They wanted a theme the world could understand in any language. That is when John came up with All You Need Is Love. Some journalists called this performance THE greatest moment in Pop Culture - reaching 400 Million people around the world, with the strongest and most perfect message, performed LIVE from Studio 3 at EMI  (Abbey Road) Studios. Sgt. Pepper ushered in the 'Summer of Love', but All You Need Is Love gave it its anthem, still the greatest anthem ever recorded, even 50 years later! The Beatles were at the top of their game (so far) and there was no disputing their leadership into what was happening and what was to come, culturally and musically.
    --  The Fest For Beatles Fans

Kent,
The Mauds' terrific "Hold On" version was indeed a great 45 for them, catapulting them into the WLS top 15 as their first local Chicago hit.  Even tho it was never a charter on WLS by the originators, Sam & Dave, it became a hit for the local guys. 
I would love to hear Clark Weber's response to this comment. 
It is my understanding that WLS would not play the Sam & Dave original OR the Mauds’ version because of the line "Hold On, I'm Comin'" being too sexually suggestive.  The Mauds recorded several Sam & Dave tunes, some released as 45's, but Sam & Dave never made the WLS charts until AFTER the Mauds' hit! 
I am adding Mike Callahan to this email because I believe it was he who first told me about this story behind the Mauds hit finally getting airplay on WLS.  I may be wrong, but I believe it was Mike.  I do not remember taping THIS song off WLS, but I think I have WCFL playing the released 45 version. 
Anyway, apparently someone (Clark or maybe Gene Taylor?) at WLS said they would play it IF the line were changed for air purposes.  Does this sound familiar?  They did it with "Gloria" and it became a hit.  I am sure Mercury Records and the Mauds had no problem changing the song for WLS, thinking that would make it a hit for them, as it DID AGAIN!!!  The power of the Big 89!!
Anyway, I searched for decades to find a tape OR an actual 45 (which I did not think existed) of this altered version that WLS aired.  Finally, I found a copy! 
Attached is the altered version "Hold On, Don't You Worry."  Note the odd Mercury 45 number and different matrix number.  Jimy Rogers did a great job of making it sound as if his vocal were recorded at the same time as their original. 
Strange, but I hope Clark or Mike can elaborate for me again.  Gotta love the Summer of Love ‘67. 
Clark Besch
"Water drippin up the spout but I don't care, let it all hang out."








We’ve featured the “edited / clean” version of “Hold On” before … actually Jimy Rogers himself sent me a copy several years ago …
I certainly remember hearing “Hold On” on the radio at the time because I loved the song … but at 13 I don’t know that I would have truly understood what all the fuss was about.  (Things were different back then … and kids grew up a little bit slower.  It may have been “The Summer Of Love” but I think I missed out on all the good stuff!)
However Phil Nee and I counted down The Top 50 Biggest Hits From The Summer Of Love as the stacked up right here in Chicago on the WLS and WCFL charts … and you can now find that countdown permanently posted on our brand new 1967 Listening Station website. 
(This was supposed to be my EASY year … pre-write the whole calendar a year in advance and then have some time to coast … instead I’m doing more radio shows than ever, have already set up two brand new websites (including this one) to coincide with the demand for all things ’67 that this series has generated so far and have still tried to keep at least one or two other “contemporary” pieces going out by email during all of this craziness!!!  Man, if that ain’t lovin’ the music, I don’t know what is!!! Lol)  kk

By the way, Clark Weber, Program Director of WLS back in 1967, DID respond to Clark Besch’s email above …
Here is what the OTHER Clark had to say …

The question concerning the Mauds’ airplay of “Hold On, I’m  Comin” is rather vague. It did occur during my time as PD in 1967. I also (vaguely) recall the hesitancy about the lyrics.
I mc’d a Sam and Dave concert in Chicago during that time. Before the show their manager explained to me that Sam & Dave would be coming on stage, each from the opposite end and after the act was over, they would exit the same way. It turns out one of the two had shot his wife in the head, she survived and the other member of the duo refused to ever speak to the shooter ever again. And didn’t.
Of course the lyric had sexual connotations and everybody on the South Side and the distributors were well aware of it. I imagine that helped the sales! I don’t know which recording sold the most but it certainly was a hit for both teams.
– Clark Weber
Thanks for the insight, Clark.  I really believe that WLS had the pull (especially with Chicago based Mercury Records) to cause the band and label to go to the trouble and expense of issuing a separate different DJ copy, especially when you did they same thing with the Shadows of Knight and made them a giant national act instantly with "Gloria" a year earlier. 
Clark Besch

Meanwhile, across town, WCFL was giving WLS a run for the money back in '67 ... a VERY competitive time in "Radio Wars".  They also published their own weekly survey ... and used to do daily "Capsule Countdown" of that week's Top Ten Hits.  Here are two we found on YouTube.  (I used to LOVE hearing these!)  kk




Speaking of the local area charts, FH Reader Ken Freck just sent us photos of two surveys (one from Tucson, AZ, and another one from Milwaukee, WI), both about to celebrate their 50th anniversaries the second week of July, 1967. 
Here's what was hot on the radio fifty years ago today in Arizona and Wisconsin ...



Wow!  Interesting to see Janis Ian's "Society's Child" at the top of one of these lists (KOLD) as this record was banned on a number of radio stations at the time. (Note that it isn't listed at all on the WRIT chart ... so I'm guessing this station may very well have been one of them!)  kk  


Can you believe it???
Our 1967 Celebration is officially half over!!!
(I never thought things would fly by this quickly!)
To help celebrate the half-way point, here are a few episodes of the daily History of Rock And Roll feature sent into us by its creator, Gary Theroux, all spotlighting 1967 artists doing very well on the charts at the time.  (These segments run twice daily during the week on Rewound Radio ... check 'em out!)
http://rewoundradio.com/