Saturday, February 25, 2017

1967 Bonus #10

Wow!  TEN Bonus Emails already (and it's still only February!!!)  I never would have expected the need for this many supplemental emails ... but it seems folks are TRULY diggin' our look back at 1967. 

Be sure to get ALL of the latest news (from 50 years ago today anyway!) right here ... http://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/

Start your day each morning with Forgotten Hits ... and don't miss a thing!  (kk) 

Kent ...

Great job with 1967.

After 1967, you only have about 14 other years to do. (1955 - 1970)! (?)

Frank B.

This one pretty much wiped me out!  (lol)  I've gotta give props to guys like Ron Smith, Bob Dearborn and the folks behind "On This Date In Rock And Roll History" ... their postings cover EVERY year ... I devoted all of my efforts to 1967!

I gave some thought to doing 1971 ... it would be my 50th Year High School Graduation Anniversary ... but NOTHING matches the music and events of '67 for me.  (kk)

Hi Kent;
As you wind down your month long salute to the oldies of 1967, a huge round of applause for all the work you put into the program! Nice job!
Oh, and one other thing ...
Let me put the Weber / Riley feud to rest with this observation.
In my mind, Ron Riley will always remain about five French fries short of a Happy Meal!
Clark Weber
Hey, we're just getting started!!!! This thing'll run ALL YEAR LONG ... so LOTS more goodies to come!  (kk)

My name is Dex Card. I was part of the music scene before and after 1967.  
1967 was my last year hosting the afternoon show on WLS Chicago. At the time, WLS was the most listened to radio station in the entire United States. 
In 1968 I began a syndicated radio show and also opened five Wild Goose Teen clubs in the Chicago suburbs. I hired national acts and also many Chicago groups, including: the Cryan' Shames, the Buckinghams, the Ides Of March, the New Colony Six, the Shadows Of Knight and, most importantly, STYX. 
In 1975, I began acquiring radio stations in Wisconsin.  I retired to Florida twenty-one years ago. 
Dex
Hey, Dex - thanks so much for chiming in ... and please keep those memories coming.  Man, you couldn't go ten minutes without hearing an ad for The Wild Goose on the radio back in the late '60's and early '70's.  (Any of you Chicago folk remember Steve Cronin's "Starbeat Presents What's Happening" jingle???  Try getting THAT one out of your head tonight!)  kk

Chuck Buell here, Kent! ~~~

In last Sunday's FH Bonus #9, my Ole On Air Broadcasting Buddy on WLS of some years ago, Clark Weber, wrote you saying he thought it was I who was the tag voice on the Coca Cola Neil Diamond Radio commercials. 

Well, nope, 'twas not I!

But he wasn't far off! Fast forward a bit, and it was me on some of the other Coke spots. I did tag the commercials for B. J. Thomas, the Brooklyn Bridge and a couple of others, I think.

One for which I was called upon to voice the tag lines was the spot that ended up being perhaps the most famous Contemporary Artist Coca Cola Radio commercial of them all!

It and the Hit Song that followed are attached!

CB ( which stands for "Coke Boy!" )




Actually that comment came from Clark Besch, who often signs his name as WLSClark.  (It's confused folks before ... including Clark Weber!!! lol)
I thought you had done voiceovers for a number of these spots, which ran nationally all over the country.  Happy to share the one you sent along.  Thanks, Chuck!  (kk)
*****
Two artists who enjoyed an incredibly good year in 1967 will be performing together at The Genesee Theatre in Waukegan on Saturday, March 25th ... 
That's the night they present Tommy James and the Shondells with Special Guests The Association ...
And a select number of tickets are still available through The Genesee Theatre Online Box Office ...
But you'd better hurry 'cause they're going fast!

Check out this hit list ... between them, these guys had TEN Top 100 Hits in 1967 alone ...
I Think We're Alone Now (#3 ... and #1 here in Chicago)
Mirage (#7 ... and #1 here in Chicago)
I Like The Way (#20 / #12)
Gettin' Together (#14 / #12)
Out Of The Blue (#31 / #14)
Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebies (#19 / EX)
No Fair At All (#51 / #18)
Windy (#1 / #1)
Never My Love (#1 / #2)
Requiem For The Masses (#100 / --)
Check the website today (2/25) and you'll find Tommy telling the story behind hearing "I Think We're Alone Now" for the very first time.

*****


Speaking of The Genesee Theatre, it looks like quite a few of you took advantage of the special Pre-Sale Offer for Cornerstones of Rock tickets ... tickets are now on sale to the general public ... and I fully expect this show to sell out, just like every other performance they've done.
Talk about your "Who's Who Of Chicago Rock" ... ALL of these guys provided the soundtrack for growing up in The Windy City in the late '60's and early '70's.  Don't miss your chance to catch The Buckinghams, The Cryan' Shames, The Ides Of March, The New Colony Six and The Shadows Of Knight ... all performing together in ONE BIG SHOW on May 20th at The Genesee Theatre.
Ticket link below: