Wednesday, April 5, 2017

1967 Bonus #18

After he saw our anniversary tidbit about the concert Murry The K put on at The RKO Theater in New York City on March 25th featuring The Who and (The) Cream, Al Kooper sent us this link celebrating the show.  (And he should know ... he was THERE that night ... as one of the performers up on the stage!!!)  kk  
http://songheads.com/?p=93   

Kent ... 
You're not the only one thinking about 1967.  Check it out.
Frank B.





Rolling Stone Magazine celebrated the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" album cover photo shoot with some little known facts about the design concept (including a few things I didn't know about ... check out that Dutch Beatles LP Cover from 1964!)  kk





If one takes a magnifying glass to the doll wearing the "Welcome the Rolling Stones" shirt on the Sgt. Pepper's album, they can see written on the sleeves "WMCA Good Guys", a reference to one of the great NYC radio stations of the day. 
Mark 
With the actual album you don't even need a magnifying glass to see it ... homage, I guess, to the time they spent with Murry The K on their first trip to America.  (kk) 

Hello Kent, 
If you look at the posts in the 1910 Fruitgum Company Fan Page on FB there is a story about a medallion that I made in March of 1967 where I talk about its significance in the forming of the 1910 Fruitgum Company. I thought you might want use it in your blog.
Take care,
Frank Jeckell

When I am not out of town, I check the site every morning.  I DO send comments from it out to friends sometimes that I know don't read it -- despite my pleas.  I LOVE the comments from the readers, especially WLS jocks. 

Glad to see Lujack now on board at CFL.  He has just arrived from WMEX in Boston after a less than six month ride there after driving cross country from KJR in Seattle where he'd been for years.  I LOVED Lujack, but originally was upset at how he brushed off the survey show as somewhat unnecessary numbers.  I had to get used to his humor, which took maybe a month or two at most.  By 69, I was looking forward to his "Addresses to the Nation" and all the things that followed, such as "Animal Stories," "Cheap Trashy Showbiz Report," "Klunk Letter of the Day" etc. 

Addressing you and Clark Weber now, you may realized that coming up shortly in 1967 are some distinct changes in the WLS Silver Dollar Survey.  I wonder if Clark has any insights ahead of time on these.
On April 21, adverts on the survey for the then months old Personality Magazine end and "Super Summer" hype begins on WLS' survey and on the air.  On April 28, it begins with a look back at the best sellers of the 60's with "Music Spectacular."  It's amazing how many people chose those weeks to record WLS.  I think there was great interest in those weeks, partly because you could not just go out and GET those old records as easily and many just wanted to hear their old faves again. 
Even more interesting was the survey name change for the first time to "Super Summer Survey".  That lasted all summer and then back to Silver Dollar Surevy throughout the year until the first week of '68 when it became the Hit Parade.
One thing that always has bugged me is how people constantly said WLS never played the bottom 10 songs, just listed them.  I know that CFL jocks and Gene Taylor have said that the top 20 was mainly gauged well and the lower ones were a bit of a hit and miss always for sales plotting.  However, we recorded MANY of the lower position songs as well as MANY extras played over the years on the big 89.  The thing I find interesting is how WLS switched from "weeks played" to "last week position" on April 28 survey.   ALSO interesting is that the last week position showed positions as low as #75!  that means there must have been an "inside" chart listing up to 75 records a week.  I have NEVER seen a copy of such, so I'm wondering if Clark can shed light on this.  After a month of showing these dramatic (at times) leaps into the top 40, they switched to just a blank space when a song moved into the top 40 for the first time.  
I'm guessing the lower reaches could have included LP cuts, older 45's as well as up and comers??  The "in house" charts I have from KRLA from 67 showed 45s listed into 60's some weeks as well as listing songs "on cart" which were sometimes "exclusives" not available yet on record.  ABC sister station WABC listed 77 songs on their chart until 1962 and then 40 and then less as years went along, but there was a brief period about like what I mention here, where their top 20 actually listed songs moving in from the 40's also.  It did not last either.  
Comments or insight welcome.  Clark, maybe your secretary would remember any in house typed charts she made up for you?  I sure would LOVE to see one if you or her have one.
Clark Besch





Hi Kent,
I've been a Forgotten Hits follower for quite some time. I truly love this thing you're doing with 1967. In a way, I hope you keep doing it through the next four years. 
These were my High School years, which pull down plenty of memories. Plus this was the first year I really started collecting my 45's and plus collecting all the radio surveys from then and more. 
I'm kinda waiting to see if you're going to cover some baseball. As a Cub fan, it was the start of some really exciting times at Wrigley Field. I am an original Bleacher Bum ... but hate to say that other team on the southside had a good year also. The July 2nd day stands out the most for me, but just a few short weeks later it would be over. The biggest memory I have from that was everybody's beloved Harry Carey crying out "The Cardinals are coming Tra-La, Tra-La". To this day when anybody tells how great Harry Carey was as a Cub announcer I get upset to my stomach. 
Alright keep the memories coming and I'll keep getting up at six o'clock to see what the new story is coming up next.
Thanks so very much,
Randy Anderson  
Thanks, Randy, I appreciate that.  (Didn't know you were a Chicago boy!  Awesome!) 
You'll see sports creep in from time to time ... 1967's Opening Days are just a week away ... and both The Cubs AND The Sox had pretty incredible seasons that year. 
My first year of high school was 1967, too, graduating in '71.  We won't keep it up for four years but we'll ALWAYS look back ... and hope good folks like you will continue to share your memories with our readers. 
Thanks again.  (kk)

Kent: 
Good morning. 
I sooo enjoy your site and sooo appreciate all the work you put into it.  One can tell your love of your work.The site is marked as a favorite and is checked everyday. I also go to your web page to read stories and gather information.I have sent this information out to roughly 50 people I know. We do exchange emails about items we remember and / or have participated in ... the "remember when we" category.When I have additional time I will write and tell why this site is important to me personally. Coming froma rural area, KOMA & WLS were my go to saviors for music.
Keep up the good work. 
John Glassman 
Thank you, John, I appreciate that.  (kk)

Kent, 
You asked today how one uses your calendar information. What I do early in the morning is I scan the info, then later on in the day read it word for word. Now, I don't play all of the songs that you post. It may be that I wasn't too fond of them at the time they came out. The ones I do play are those I truly liked for one reason or another or maybe haven't heard it in ages. 
Now today's posting reminded me of two things. First, the Jimi Hendrix tune FIRE reminded me of a version by a group known as the Five by Five on Paula Records. (1968). Turned out to be a hit here in the OKC area. Also, when I saw and played YELLOW BALLOON, that reminded me that the same song is on the flip side. However, it is recorded backwards with the group's name being NOOLLAB WOLLEY 
Larry Neal  
The Five By Five version of "Fire" was a HUGE hit here in Chicago, going all the way to #5 on both the WLS and the WCFL charts.  And, believe it or not, the backwards version of "Yellow Balloon" actually received a few votes in our Favorite, Forgotten B-Sides Poll a few years back!  (If nothing else, I'm sure long-time list member Alex Valdez voted for it!  lol)  kk 

Speaking of Yellow Balloon ...   

Kent,
Your Forgotten Hits blog is never short of surprises, and your latest issues are no exception.  
When I found a couple of my "never thought I would see nor hear of these again" favorites, it made my day, so thank-you.  
The "Yellow Balloon" got a ton of airplay in Minneapolis, and when I saw "Sunday For Tea" by Peter & Gordon on the WLS survey, I couldn't believe it -- one of my all-time favorites by Peter & Gordon -- never even knew it ever saw the light of day, let alone show up on the WLS charts! 
Peter & Gordon's music was always well-produced and I certainly can see why Peter Asher went on to a giant career in music production to include albums by Linda Ronstadt, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Cher, and others.  The stereo production on Peter & Gordon's "I Go To Pieces" and "Nobody I Know" is simply excellent.  
'67 vintage ... I don't know what it was like for wine, but for music it was a helluva great year, and thank-you for spot-lighting it all year!  And, all of your hard work to capture the era and distill it into a year-long feature is greatly appreciated -- again, 
THANK-YOU! 
Regards,
Tim Kiley   

Ah!  1967 ... I was only 12 then. lol ... Just kidding!
Thanks for the nostalgic journey through this time of budding adolescence. "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone." I know that song. lol ... 
Funny, 1967 seems like only yesterday.  I love the Buckinghams ... always have and always will.  
The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album cover naturally is a classic. I have since learned more about the faces on the album cover.  Yesterday, I actually came across some information about one of the faces being that of famous British author Stephen Crane, which I never knew.  
And those fabulous Monkees! Davy Jones ... gone too soon. I liked Mike Nesmith more than I realized.  He was the "brains behind the operation."  I like smart men. His mother must have  been brilliant, with the "white out" and all.  As an ad min I am very familiar with that product.  lol ... 
Thanks again, Kent, for the fond memories.  
Sandy



Hi Kent
When I grew up in Orlando, Florida, I discovered an amazing station called WLOF; the British Invasion really brought it home with WLOF making top ten hits only in Orlando with bands like The Zombies (I Must Move; I Want You Back Again) and Them (Mystic Eyes; Gonna Dress In Back) and charted more than 600 songs uncharted in the US Billboard charts between 1965-1971. 
I began collecting radio station surveys from WLOF and in 1966 (when I was 16), my family moved to Central New York.   Being in the northeast, late night, I could hear WKBW (Buffalo); CKLW (Windsor-Detroit); WOWO (Ft. Wayne, Indiana), WABC (NY), WBZ (Boston) and WCFL & WLS (Chicago).  I became a rabid chart freak (buying the Billboard Whitburn books faithfully since 1970) and after college, pursued a career in radio.  To this day, I seek out chart information and being retired in South Florida, I've been able to make connections with retired DJ's in Orlando and post WLOF related chart info from 50 years ago, this year, on the WLOF Channel 95 Facebook page.  To make a long story short, I find your past and present info regarding Chicagoland fascinating, as I grew up on WLS and WCFL from 1967 - 1975.  Love your weekly top 100 chart and look forward to analyzing it every weekend.  
Next time, I'll include some vintage chart data for you.  In the meantime, you may remember this jingle package
Keep rockin'
Dennis Chip Chapman 
You'll see every WLS and WCFL posted every week during our 1967 series. 
And, being a chart-aholic like me, you may be interested in these Birmingham, Alabama surveys that one of our readers, Ray Edwards, mentioned recently.  (We've already received a couple of responses on these.)  kk  

Hi Kent:
As I've mentioned before, I was a deejay at a Florida radio station in 1967. There was a Sandie Shaw song in the top 20 of our station's Singalong Survey. 
Since search engines were decades away, I knew nothing about the story behind the song.  On April 8, 1967, the Eurovision Song Contest was held in Vienna, Austria.   Although mostly oblivious to Americans, I found out living in London while serving in the US Navy that it is a really big deal in Europe. Participating countries have representatives perform original songs while the contest is simulcast live across Europe. Twenty year old Sandie Shaw, already a successful UK pop artist known for performing while barefoot, was chosen to represent the UK that year. 
Shaw auditioned five original songs on a UK tv variety show and the public voted to pick their favorite. To her dismay the song chosen, "Puppet On a String," was her least favorite. The Eurovision Song Contest had begun in 1956 and the UK had never won.  
With it's circus atmosphere, "Puppet On A String" won the contest by a landslide. It even beat out the first ever version of "Love Is Blue".  The very next year, Paul Mauriat's instrumental "Love Is Blue" would become the only US number one to ever originate in France. "Puppet" meanwhile became a worldwide number one hit but failed to chart nationally in the US.  
J Gentry  
I had no idea regarding the history of this song (and event).  I've seen "Puppet On A String" on the British Charts for years now and just always assumed it was the Elvis tune ... quite a surprise to hear this (as you called it) "circus atmosphere" track!  Thanks for sending.  (kk)



[Speaking of the British Charts, we've fallen behind again ... check out the biggest hits of April, 1967 below, courtesy of Rockin' Lord Geoff.  You'll find Sandie Shaw's "Puppet On A String" topping the chart for a couple of weeks fifty years ago this month.] 

Kent,
Well, since I'm the supplier of all of the WCFL charts and WLS charts being used in this series, I have all that info already, and I own Ron Smith's book, too, which is a great source of information, collecting all this chart data into an easy-reference format.
Each day I post on Facebook the events of the day in music history, using many of the same sources you do, plus the ones that you dug up that I just didn't see. So I use FH 1967, as well as other FH posts, as part of my daily routine.
And since FH has always been about just the facts, I often refer to it as a confirmed source when I have conflicting information. (and that happens often).
Frankly, I don't know how you do it with a full time job. My time is my own, and I can't seem to find the time to do all the music stuff I want to do.
Now if I may, do a bit of self-promoting, the next record show is 5/21 in Hillside. That is a Sunday, and the day after the Cornerstones Of Rock concert at The Genesee Theatre in Waukegan. Of course, there will be records by all of the acts you see perform there, as well as  original 1967 surveys that you see posted here in FH. Make it a true music weekend. If Kent doesn't mind, I'll mention it again, as the day gets closer.
Jack
Hoping to see you at both the concert and the convention.  Been a long time ... so looking forward to both.  (kk)

Hola Kent,
I’ve been super busy purchasing a Winter Getaway in FL, so I am behind but check this out ... this is a newsletter from Ace Records of the UK ... they have fabulous CD offerings. I’m sure your readers would enjoy searching their catalogue, especially the America’s Greatest Hits series.
Well apparently your Celebration of 1967 has reached across the Atlantic and they have joined in on the phenomena! Check it out below.
Also while catching up on this month's postings I caught an “Echo Dot” Amazon commercial on the TV, where one of the subjects requests “I’d like to play the top tunes of 1967” !
Bejeesus, Kent, you’ve started a trend!  In fact, you may have actually started a ‘movement’ and if your readers do it in harmony in groups of three, they may think its an organization and if 50 readers ... that’s just 50 readers mention it, it WILL be a Movement!!! (Regrets to Arlo on his ’67 homage to beating the draft.)
Man, this is better than leaving old tires wrapped in toilet paper to look new to scam passers by and yelling ‘Sucker’ at them ... man our ‘innocent youth’ ... what fun.
Have a great weekend,
CharlieOFD




http://acerecords.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=eed4e2bae4&e=f865a8e4b2 April 2017
Ace Records Newsletter

New releases for April 2017 from Ace Records
New releases from Ace records http://acerecords.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=3a1fd9c0cf&e=f865a8e4b2
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=6d5555492c&e=f865a8e4b2 Jon Savage's 1967 - The Year Pop Divided
Pop
Various Artists (Jon Savage)
CD £17.75

MOR ballads were rife in the UK charts in 1967 but thankfully not on this dynamic collection of rock, soul, pop and incipient funk and psych the teenage Jon Savage heard on pirate radio that year.
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=348b891839&e=f865a8e4b2 To Love Somebody - The Songs Of The Bee Gees 1966-1969
Pop
Various Artists (Songwriter Series)
CD £12.92

Barry, Maurice and Robin Gibb always considered themselves to be primarily songwriters. Here are 24 examples from the brothers’ initial creative rush.
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=9128bd72a5&e=f865a8e4b2 Birth Of Soul - Special Detroit Edition 1961-64
60s Soul
Various Artists (Birth of Soul)
CD £11.50

Detroit’s black music scene 1957-64; about to spread soul music across the world.
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=131732b4f6&e=f865a8e4b2 More From The Other Side Of The Trax - Stax-Volt 45rpm Rarities 1960-1968
60s Soul
Various Artists (Stax)
CD £12.92

More Memphis mid-60s masterpieces from the South’s main source for soul. Most tracks previously unreissued.
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=e418fef36d&e=f865a8e4b2 The Stars Of Modern - California Soul Classics
Rhythm & Blues
Various Artists (Kent/ Modern)
7" £9.86

The fifth in our series of “The Stars Of....” EPs is drawn from the catalogue of Modern Records, UK Kent’s starting point.
http://acerecords.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a24e3b60622fbf4b152f021e6&id=fe01399d87&e=f865a8e4b2 I've Got My Thang Together - The Westbound Years
Funk
Fuzzy Haskins
CD £11.50

P-Funk magic from the original member of Parliament.
LOL ... very cool!  (Were it only true!  lol  Ah yes, Forgotten Hits ... influencing Amazon ... and then the world!  How funny!)  kk

And then, literally four minutes later we got this email from Guy Arnston! 

Something new: 
Various Artists (Jon Savage) - Jon Savage's 1967 - The Year Pop Divided - Ace Records  
Hmmm ... maybe it IS true!  (Or at least those select few reading and enjoying Forgotten Hits may think so!)  kk

I noticed that one of our comments in the last 1967 Bonus Edition got cut off ...



We were talking about Mark Dawson and The Grass Roots and I meant to tell you that Mark and the boys will be joining Gary Lewis and the Playboys at The Arcada Theatre on Sunday, August 13th for a great evening of '60's music.  (Gary is also a friend of Forgotten Hits - and helped us kick off our 1967 series with his stories about reporting for duty on January 1st, 1967, having just been drafted!)  Hope to see some of you out there for this one ... more ticket information here:




And, speaking of "on the radio", we'll be on Phil Nee's "Those Were The Days" radio program this Saturday Night on WRCO, broadcasting out of Richland Center, Wisconsin, playing more of our favorite tracks from 1967.

Unfortunately, the station doesn't stream ... so we are looking at other ways to bring you this program.  Stay tuned!  
It's always a fun time on Phil's show - and he's run several of our features through the years.  This time around, we each picked ten of our favorites from '67 ... and had a lot of fun doing so ... so we hope to be able to bring it to you shortly.  (kk)



The British Charts - April, 1967

According to Record Retailer the top thirty singles on the UK charts for week ending April 8th 1967 were:
WK LW TW
10 - 01 - 01 - Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me
06 - 02 - 02 - Harry Secombe - This Is My Song
03 - 07 - 03 - Frank And Nancy Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid
04 - 03 - 04 - Sandie Shaw - Puppet On A String
05 - 06 - 05 - Alan Price Set - Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
09 - 04 - 06 - Vince Hill - Edelweiss
05 - 05 - 07 - Whistling Jack Smith - I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
01 - NE - 08 - Monkees - A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You
03 - 14 - 09 - Cliff Richard - It's All Over
09 - 08 - 10 - Petula Clark - This Is My Song
02 - 29 - 11 - Manfred Mann – Ha, Ha Said The Clown
07 - 10 - 12 - Beatles - Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever
07 - 09 - 13 - Seekers - Georgy Girl
05 - 12 - 14 - Val Doonican - Memories Are Made Of This
08 - 13 - 15 - Herman's Hermits - There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
02 - 27 - 16 - Four Tops - Bernadette
08 - 11 - 17 - Hollies - On A Carousel
04 - 24 - 18 - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick And Tich - Touch Me Touch Me
02 - 20 - 19 - Georgie Fame - Because I Love You
14 - 17 - 20 - Monkees - I'm A Believer
08 - 15 - 21 - Tom Jones - Detroit City
02 - 30 - 22 - Turtles - Happy Together
02 - 25 - 23 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
04 - 17 - 24 - Prince Buster - Al Capone
01 - NE - 25 - Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights
03 - 23 - 26 - Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
08 - 16 - 27 - Troggs - Give It To Me
06 - 21 - 27 - Supremes - Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
06 - 19 - 29 - Dusty Springfield - I'll Try Anything
01 - NE - 30 - Dave Clark Five - You Got What It Takes
According to Record Retailer the top thirty singles on the UK charts for week ending April 15th 1967 were:
WK LW TW
04 - 03 - 01 - Frank And Nancy Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid
05 - 04 - 02 - Sandie Shaw - Puppet On A String
11 - 01 - 03 - Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me
02 - 08 - 04 - Monkees - A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You
07 - 02 - 05 - Harry Secombe - This Is My Song
03 - 11 - 06 - Manfred Mann - Ha, Ha Said The Clown
06 - 05 - 07 - Alan Price Set - Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
04 - 08 - 08 - Cliff Richard - It's All Over
06 - 07 - 09 - Whistling Jack Smith - I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
10 - 06 - 10 - Vince Hill - Edelweiss
03 - 23 - 11 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
03 - 16 - 12 - Four Tops - Bernadette
01 - NE - 13 - Cat Stevens - I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
10 - 10 - 14 - Petula Clark - This Is My Song
08 - 13 - 15 - Seekers - Georgy Girl
08 - 12 - 16 - Beatles - Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever
03 - 19 - 17 - Georgie Fame - Because I Love You
02 - 25 - 18 - Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights
03 - 22 - 19 - Turtles - Happy Together
05 - 18 - 20 - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick And Tich - Touch Me Touch Me
06 - 14 - 21 - Val Doonican - Memories Are Made Of This
01 - NE - 22 - Mamas And The Papas - Dedicated To The One I Love
01 - NE - 23 - Move - I Can Hear The Grass Grow
01 - RE - 24 - Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne
04 - 26 - 24 - Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
01 - NE - 26 - Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining
05 - 24 - 27 - Prince Buster - Al Capone
02 - 30 - 28 - Dave Clark Five - You Got What It Takes
01 - NE - 29 - Martha And The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack
09 - 15 - 30 - Herman's Hermits - There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
According to Record Retailer the top thirty singles on the UK charts for week ending April 22nd 1967 were:
WK LW TW
06 - 02 - 01 - Sandie Shaw - Puppet On A String
05 - 01 - 02 - Frank And Nancy Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid
03 - 04 - 03 - Monkees - A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You
04 - 06 - 04 - Manfred Mann - Ha, Ha Said The Clown
12 - 03 - 05 - Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me
08 - 05 - 06 - Harry Secombe - This Is My Song
04 - 11 - 07 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
04 - 12 - 08 - Four Tops - Bernadette
05 - 08 - 09 - Cliff Richard - It's All Over
07 - 07 - 10 - Alan Price Set - Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
02 - 13 - 11 - Cat Stevens - I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
07 - 09 - 12 - Whistling Jack Smith - I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
03 - 18 - 13 - Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights
04 - 17 - 14 - Georgie Fame - Because I Love You
02 - 23 - 15 - Move - I Can Hear The Grass Grow
11 - 10 - 16 - Vince Hill - Edelweiss
04 - 19 - 17 - Turtles - Happy Together
02 - 22 - 18 - Mamas And The Papas - Dedicated To The One I Love
01 - NE - 19 - Tom Jones - Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings
02 - 29 - 20 - Martha And The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack
09 - 15 - 21 - Seekers - Georgy Girl
01 - NE - 22 - Lulu - The Boat That I Row
06 - 27 - 23 - Prince Buster - Al Capone
02 - 26 - 24 - Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining
05 - 24 - 24 - Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
09 - 16 - 26 - Beatles - Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever
07 - 21 - 26 - Val Doonican - Memories Are Made Of This
06 - 20 - 28 - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick And Tich - Touch Me Touch Me
11 - 14 - 29 - Petula Clark - This Is My Song
01 - NE - 30 - Shadows - Maroc 7
According to Record Retailer the top thirty singles on the UK charts for week ending April 29th 1967 were:
WK LW TW
07 - 01 - 01 - Sandie Shaw - Puppet On A String
06 - 02 - 02 - Frank And Nancy Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid
04 - 03 - 03 - Monkees - A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You
05 - 04 - 04 - Manfred Mann – Ha, Ha Said The Clown
05 - 07 - 05 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
13 - 05 - 06 - Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me
05 - 08 - 07 - Four Tops - Bernadette
03 - 11 - 08 - Cat Stevens - I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
04 - 13 - 09 - Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights
03 - 18 - 10 - Mamas And The Papas - Dedicated To The One I Love
03 - 15 - 11 - Move - I Can Hear The Grass Grow
09 - 06 - 12 - Harry Secombe - This Is My Song
02 - 19 - 13 - Tom Jones - Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings
05 - 17 - 14 - Turtles - Happy Together
02 - 22 - 15 - Lulu - The Boat That I Row
06 - 09 - 16 - Cliff Richard - It's All Over
08 - 12 - 17 - Whistling Jack Smith - I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
08 - 10 - 18 - Alan Price Set - Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
01 - NE - 19 - Who - Pictures Of Lily
05 - 14 - 19 - Georgie Fame - Because I Love You
06 - 24 - 21 - Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
03 - 20 - 22 - Martha And The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack
03 - 24 - 23 - Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining
01 - NE - 24 - Tremeloes - Silence Is Golden
02 - 30 - 25 - Shadows - Maroc 7
01 - NE - 26 - Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music
01 - NE - 27 - Jimmy Ruffin - Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got
07 - 23 - 28 - Prince Buster - Al Capone
12 - 16 - 29 - Vince Hill - Edelweiss
10 - 21 - 30 - Seekers - Georgy Girl